Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Bullying

So I heard yesterday on the news that Katy Perry has put of a challenge for high school students to make a 2 minute video using her new song Roar about bullying. Here is one of the schools that have touched me the most. Look up some of them, there is even one from MI!


If you are my family you know my story well, if your not my family let me share my story. I was never the most popular or had the most friends growing up. I was always battling my weight and of course kids can be cruel. I was pretty good during elementary school. When I started entered 6th grade I was fine, I was on High Honors and I had my group of friends. I was getting picked on, called names, but I was dealing with it. When it came to my 7th grade year I nearly FAILED the whole year because of the abuse I was getting at school. I would be called horrible names, I would get hit, shoved in to lockers, and I was even spit on at one point. I would tell the teachers, my parents, anyone who I thought could help. The teachers did nothing! My parents are amazing people. They stood up for me when no one else would. I think the worse part about the whole thing is the fact that the Vice Principle live ACROSS the street from us!!!! How could she not do something to help me when I was BEGGING my mom not to make me go to school because of how scared I was. It got to the point where my parents went to the principle and told him if he didn't do something we were going to go to a different school. Well the principle did not do his job and we started looking at new schools.

The next year I left my 300 student class size school to my new 95 student class size. The one bad thing for me is that there was someone at this new school who knew someone form my old school and they were told all the names I was called. While my 8th grade year was not that great I found a few friends and I joined cheerleading. I started to train with the high schoolers in gymnastics. They took me under their wings and I felt safe for the first time in a long time. Also this kid that knew someone from my old school was tormenting me and my AMAZING Mom made sure he knew if he even talked to me again what would happen. I was never bothered again by him.

Don't get me wrong my grade still were pretty unkind to me but I found my group with the cheerleaders and some great girls that were a year ahead of me. My Sophomore year I was nominated to be on Winterfest Court as a joke by my grade. I have no idea how many people it took to really get me voted, but I am so grateful for that. I never in my life though I would ever get to be on homecoming court at all! Those cruel kids who thought it would be funny to put me up with a fairly popular guy really lost on this one. The guy who was nominated with me was great! He made it a great night for me and was very nice to me the whole time. Eventually we would also be nominated the most School Spirited of our class.

So what is the point of this post?????

Well I PRAY that Sprout does not have to go through what I went through.I will fight for my baby no mater what! I really hope that by the time she goes to school  or middle school that there will be laws that punish kids for bulling. I believe that cyber bulling should be punished as well. I think the schools should be able to do more to protect the victims that if left to go on, has caused so much suicide that it is not right! I wish there was someone else besides my parents who did something for me, protected me. I was lucky that my parents did step in because who knows if I would have been one of those teen suicides. It's really scary to think about it.

So in the end this mom lion will always protect my little cub with a great big ROAR!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that growing up, that is AWFUL!

    ReplyDelete